We’ve used this page to bring together all our best fishing tips and advice. We’ve got tips on how to find good fishing spots, when you should choose to fish and what methods you should use for the highest chances of success.
These tips come from our team of fishing writers, who are all with fishing guides or expert anglers. They’ve put their passion into helping people to catch more fish into these tips.
They’ve even written a piece on going on a fishing date!
Fishing: the best time, weather and conditions
An old fishing friend of mine has a snappy answer for when people ask him the best time to go fishing: “When you have time to go.” He’s right in a way – his answer speaks to our busy lives and the fact that you should seize any opportunity to go fishing and not worry too much about weather and time.
However, there is no doubt that weather, time of day, season and barometric pressure – and even moon phase – have profound effects on fish behaviour and choosing a time when these factors are working in your favor usually brings more success.
- Bass Fishing After a Storm: How to Stimulate a Hot Bite
- Best fishing near me: Find Top Spots the Right Way
- Barometric Pressure and Fishing: What Impact Does it Have?
- What is the best time of day to fish? Answers Here
- Fishing after rain: How to Handle High Water
- Night fishing: Boost your Strike Rate After Dark
- Fishing in hot weather: Tips to Land More Fish
- How to Catch Trout at Night
- How To Catch Muskie at Night
- How to Catch Perch At Night
- How to Catch Bass At Night
- Best Time to Catch Crappie
Modern electronics make finding fish and fishing safely and effectively relatively simple – provided the fish are co-operating. But like any piece of sophisticated technology, fish finders, trolling motors and other angling aids aren’t alwasy easy to use. Our experts have set down their best tips on using tech to improve your fishing success below.
- How to read a fish finder: Complete Guide
- Personal Locator Beacon: How to Use One To Stay Safe
- How to Install a Fish Finder: Full Instructions
- What Does a Thermocline Look Like on your Fish Finder
- Lowrance Transducer Compatability Chart
- How to Tell if Your Transducer isn’t Working
Tackle Set Up
- How to make a fish stringer: An Easy How-To Guide
- Can you take fishing gear on a plane? Comprehensive Guide
- How to get rid of fish smell on hands: The Simplest Methods
- Surf fishing gear list: All the required tackle for success in the salt
- Anise oil for fishing: Does it attract bites?
- How to clean a Camelbak Mouthpiece
- How Much Line to Put on a Spinning Reel (and how to tell when it is filled)
- The Best Scents and Attractants for Bass
- Fishing Reel Gear Ratios Explained
- Types of Fishing Weights
- How To Use A Trolling Motor
- Inside the World’s Biggest Bass Pro Shop
- Carrying Kayaks in pickup bed
- Japan fly fishing: How to catch fish in Japanese waters
- Types of Trout Found in Japan
- Wade fishing: Get closer to the fish and reap the rewards
- Technique tips: How to cast light lures
- What is jigging?
- How long should your leader line be
- Why can’t i catch fish? Tips to turn around your form.
- Float Fishing Setup: Great rigs for steelhead and other species
- Beginner’s corner: How to hold a fishing rod
- How to fish a Chatterbait
- How to catch trout: A Beginner’s Guide
- Sight fishing: How to stalk fish and catch them
- How to catch bass: Basic Tips for Beginners
- How to fish Crankbaits: Complete Guide
- How to Rig a Worm for Bass Fishing: Wacky, Texas, Carolina Rigs and More
- 10 Top Rigs for Trout
- How to Use a Bobber Stopper
- How to Catch Crawfish
- How to Catch Shad
- Dock Fishing Tips and Tactics
- How To Net A Fish: The Correct Technique
- How to Carry a Fly Fishing Net the Right Way
- How To Transport Fishing Rods
- Can I Take Fishing Hooks and Fishing Gear on a Plane?
- How to Rig a Soft Plastic Frog for Bass Fishing
- Fishing from the Rocks: Expert Tips
- What is ultralight fishing?
How To Catch Various Fish Species
We are putting together a deep archive of articles on how to catch various fish, all written by our team of guides and fishing experts. See below for some of these articles:
- How To Catch Northern Pike
- How to Catch Pike on the Fly
- How to Catch Bluegill
- Salmon Fishing Gear List
- Trout Fishing Gear List
- Steelhead Gear List
- Bass Fishing Gear List
- Crappie Fishing Gear List
- What is a Flats Grand Slam?
Ethical and Sustainable Fishing
- Health benefits of fishing: mental and physical advantages explained
- Funny fishing quotes: 50 great sayings
- Recycling fishing line
- Ikejimi – the Japanese way of killing fish humanely for maximum freshness
- Do fish remember being caught?
- How long can fish live out of water?
- Fishing etiquette: Sharing the water together
- How Long do Bass Live?
- How to say fish in Spanish and French
- Taking kids fishing: 10 Trips To Make a Children’s Fishing Trip a Success
- Celebrities who fly fish: Henry Winkler, Eric Clapton and Many More
- How Long Does Fishing Line Last (Longer than you think!)?
- Is it Legal to Fish At Night?
- How Much Should I Tip a Fishing Guide?
- How Do I Become a Fishing Guide
- How to Hold a Fish for Photos and Releasing it
- What Proportion of Released Fish Survive?
- Do Fish Heal from Hooks?
- What Does Foul Hooked Mean?
Fishing Podcasts, Programs And Media
- The Best Fishing Podcasts: Fly Fishing, Lures and More
- Best fishing Youtube channels: bass talk, saltwater tips and more
- Best blogs, magazines etc on fishing
- Best Fly Fishing YouTube Channels Reviewed
- Best Books on Fly Fishing: Full List
- Best Books on Fly Tying: Must Haves