Steelhead fishing means long hours on the water often in hostile weather conditions.
You need to have the right gear to put in the required casts for success without straining your shoulders.
And you need the right steelhead flies to make sure that you get the take
And finally, you need the right clothing and gear to make sure you are comfortable and can fish through a variety of weather conditions.
Set yourself up for steelhead fishing success with this steelhead fishing gear list.
Fishing Gear for Steelhead
In this section we break down the key pieces of fishing gear for two main methods of fishing for steelhead – fly fishing and drift fishing.
Fly Fishing Gear List for Steelhead
Steelhead involves putting a lot of casts sop your fly fishing gear needs to be high quality and fun to use.
A Steelhead Fly Rod
Usually a 7-10 weight fly rod is best for fly fishing for steelhead. Check out our guide to the best steelhead fly rods and on choosing the right weight for steelhead fishing
A Great Fly Reel
You need to pair the rod with a really decent reel. Fly reels for steelhead need to have a good drag as you’ll be fighting the fish on the reel and need to apply enough braking to tire it out as it runs.
Fly Lines (intermediate or floating)
Choose a good quality fly line whether it is a floating line, sink tips or intermediate. Take several lines, preferably on interchangeable spools if your reel allows.
Backing (150+ yards or 20-30lb Dacron backing)
Tippet (10-15 lb fluorocarbon)
Tapered Leader (9+ ft.)
Drift Fishing Gear List for Steelhead
- Rod – a medium to medium-heavy casting or spinning rod
- Reel – choose one to match your rod with a quality drag with good line capacity
- Line (15-20 lb. mono or braid)
- Barrel Swivel w/ Safety Snap (black size 5-7)
- Octopus Hooks (red size 2-2/0)
- Solid Lead Wire Roll (1/4″)
- Lead Hole Punch Pliers
- Corky (assorted sizes and colors)
- Yarn (assorted sizes and thickness)
Other Fishing Gear for Steelhead
- Fishing Day Pack (see here for some good choices)
- Chest Waders and Wading Boots (see here for our Simms waders review and some tips on wading here along with our thoughts on the best wading boots)
- Quality polarized sunglasses – our favourite models are reviewed here. Consider a separate pair for low light conditions.
- Water Bottle
- Flashlight (some good models here along with some waterproof flashlights)
- Pocket Knife
- Fillet Knife (see our thoughts on the best models)
- Scale (best fishing scales reviewed here)
- Tape Measure
- Tackle Box (see here for some good models)
- Fire Starter Kit
- Dry Bag
- Fishing license for the current steelhead season
- A Wading Staff (our best models are reviewed here)
Clothing List For Steelhead Fishing
It’s really important for steelhead fishing to choose gear that can keep you warm (particularly for winter steelhead) and protect you from the sun and wind.
- Base Layer Top and Bottom – merino wool or synthetic
- Lightweight Jacket
- Windstopper Jacket
- Midweight Jacket
- Gore Tex Rain jacket
- Lightweight Shirt (3 – 5 per week)
- Lightweight Pants (1-2 pair per week)
- Midweight Pants (1 pair per week)
- Rain Gear
- Lightweight Gloves
- Midweight Waterproof Gloves
- Cap (see here for good choices)
- Socks (1 pair per day)
Final Thoughts on a Steelhead fishing gear list
We hope this list is a starting point for packing for a steelhead fishing trip. Packing this gear will help you catch more fish when you are fishing steelhead rivers and stay warm and protected.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?