There are a lot of trout fishing fanatics among the Tackle Village team.
Several of us are keen fly fishers and others are keen on using lures to catch trout.
We spend a lot of time writing about the best ways to catch trout and about the various types of trout, which we’ve summarised below.
About trout as a species
Trout are a fascinating fish that come in a range of subspecies. They are found in a wide range of countries – across the United States and Canada, throughout much of Europe as well as South America, Australia and New Zealand, Japan and even Africa.
They are a prized target for people who enjoy fly fishing in particular, but for anglers of all types.
- What do trout eat: trout diet and prey explained
- Trout fishing tips: beginner basics
- Do trout have teeth?
- Do trout have scales?
Check below for our exclusive content on fishing for different trout species.
- Steelhead vs Rainbow Trout
- Palomino Trout: Golden Game Fish
- Types of trout: all the main species
- Brook Trout vs Brown Trout
- Steelhead trout vs Salmon: Similar Habitats, Different Fish
- Japanese trout: all the trout, salmon and char species
- Cutbow Trout: This Unusual Hybrid Explained
Gear, lures and methods to catch trout
- Best trout rod: Our top picks reviewed
- Best trout lures: Spinners, soft baits and spoons
- Best fly rod for trout: Top five and six weight options reviewed
- What hook size for trout: hook numbering systems explained
- Best line for trout: Top braid, mono and fluoro choices
- Best rooster tail spinners for catching trout
- Spin fishing for trout: A Complete Guide
- The best trout spinning reel: Our Experts’ picks
- The best rooster tail for trout: Top Spinners Reviewed
- Rigs for Trout: Our Top 10
- Trout Fishing Gear List: All the Gear Required for Success
- Best Lures to Catch Steelhead: Our Top Picks
Eating Trout: Recipes and Advice
We usually fish catch and release with trout, but in lakes and rivers with decent populations of trout, there is nothing wrong with keeping a fish or two for the table, as long as it is allowed under the regulations.
We’ve included some content on how trout taste and how to cook them here.
- Rainbow trout: How do they Taste and Ways to Cook
- Can You Eat Trout Raw? Under certain circumstances, yes
- What does trout taste like?
- Record rainbow trout: Monster Bows!
- Record brook trout: One that’s Stood the Test of Time
- Record lake trout: Monster Lakers Unearthed
- World record golden trout
Fly Fishing For Trout
Fly fishing is our favourite method of fishing for trout. Done right, it can be more effective than any other type of fishing. We’ve put together links to some of our favorite content on fly fishing for trout and we are adding to this list all the time. Enjoy:
- Choosing a Fly Rod for Trout: Length, Action Weight and More
- Fishing Freestone Rivers, Tailraces and Spring Creeks
- Autumn Fly Fishing Report
- Best 4wt Fly Rod: Great Trout Sticks to Try
- Best Fly Reel For Trout: Our Experts’ Ratings
- Best Fly Rod for Trout: Guides’ Top Models Reviewed
- Fly Fishing Seasons Explained
- Choosing a Fly Line for Trout: Nymph, Dry and Streamer Lines Reviewed
- The Best Fiberglass Fly Rods Reviewed
- Best Waders For Fly Fishing
- Fly Fishing Gear List
- Steelhead Fishing Gear List
- What Weight Fly Rod for Steelhead?
- Best 20 Steelhead Flies: Guide’s List