There are a lot of trout fishing fanatics among the Tackle Village team.
Several of us are keen fly fishers and others are keen on using lures to catch trout.
We spend a lot of time writing about the best ways to catch trout and about the various types of trout, which we’ve summarised below.
About trout as a species
Trout are a fascinating fish that come in a range of subspecies. They are found in a wide range of countries – across the United States and Canada, throughout much of Europe as well as South America, Australia and New Zealand, Japan and even Africa.
They are a prized target for people who enjoy fly fishing in particular, but for anglers of all types.
- What do trout eat: trout diet and prey explained
- Trout fishing tips: beginner basics
- Do trout have teeth?
- Do trout have scales?
- When Do Brook Trout Spawn? Full Guide
- When Do Steelhead Spawn? Expert Guide
- What is a Dolly Varden? All the Info on the Misunderstood Trout Species
Check below for our exclusive content on fishing for different trout species.
- Steelhead vs Rainbow Trout
- Palomino Trout: Golden Game Fish
- Types of trout: all the main species
- Brook Trout vs Brown Trout
- Steelhead trout vs Salmon: Similar Habitats, Different Fish
- Japanese trout: all the trout, salmon and char species
- Cutbow Trout: This Unusual Hybrid Explained
- Splake vs Lake Trout: Key Differences Explained
- What are Cutbow Trout and How to Fish for Them
- Cutbow Trout vs Rainbow Trout: Key Facts and Differences
Gear, lures and methods to catch trout
- Best trout rod: Our top picks reviewed
- Best trout lures: Spinners, soft baits and spoons
- Best fly rod for trout: Top five and six weight options reviewed
- What hook size for trout: hook numbering systems explained
- Best line for trout: Top braid, mono and fluoro choices
- Best rooster tail spinners for catching trout
- Spin fishing for trout: A Complete Guide
- The best trout spinning reel: Our Experts’ picks
- The best rooster tail for trout: Top Spinners Reviewed
- Rigs for Trout: Our Top 10
- Fishing the Carolina Rig for Trout: Tips and Secrets
- Trout Fishing Gear List: All the Gear Required for Success
- Best Lures to Catch Steelhead: Our Top Picks
- Best Spinners for Steelhead: Reviewed and Rated
- How To Fish For Steelhead: Beginner’s Guide to Various Methods
- How To Catch Lake Trout Reliably
- The Best Lake Trout Lures: Secret Spinners, Spoons and Jigs
- Night Fishing for Trout: Surefire Tips for After Dark Success
- How to Catch Cutthroat Trout: Tips and Tactics
- What is a Trout Grand Slam and How to Complete One
Eating Trout: Recipes and Advice
We usually fish catch and release with trout, but in lakes and rivers with decent populations of trout, there is nothing wrong with keeping a fish or two for the table, as long as it is allowed under the regulations.
We’ve included some content on how trout taste and how to cook them here.
- Rainbow trout: How do they Taste and Ways to Cook
- Can You Eat Trout Raw? Under certain circumstances, yes
- What does trout taste like?
- Are Lake Trout Good To Eat? And How Do You Cook Them?
- Record rainbow trout: Monster Bows!
- Record brook trout: One that’s Stood the Test of Time
- Record lake trout: Monster Lakers Unearthed
- World record golden trout
- World Record Dolly Varden: Monster Caught on Fly
- World Record Taimen: Giant Caught on the Fly
Fly Fishing For Trout
Fly fishing is our favourite method of fishing for trout. Done right, it can be more effective than any other type of fishing. We’ve put together links to some of our favorite content on fly fishing for trout and we are adding to this list all the time. Enjoy:
- Choosing a Fly Rod for Trout: Length, Action Weight and More
- Fishing Freestone Rivers, Tailraces and Spring Creeks
- Autumn Fly Fishing Report
- Best 4wt Fly Rod: Great Trout Sticks to Try
- Best Fly Reel For Trout: Our Experts’ Ratings
- Best Fly Rod for Trout: Guides’ Top Models Reviewed
- Fly Fishing Seasons Explained
- Choosing a Fly Line for Trout: Nymph, Dry and Streamer Lines Reviewed
- The Best Fiberglass Fly Rods Reviewed
- Best Waders For Fly Fishing
- Fly Fishing Gear List
- Steelhead Fishing Gear List
- What Weight Fly Rod for Steelhead?
- Best 20 Steelhead Flies: Guide’s List
- Understanding Trout Rise Forms: Working out What they Are Taking
- How To Trout Fish in a Stream: Tips, Tactics and Illustrations
- How to Fish A Hopper Fly: Grasshopper Tactics
- Fishing a Cicada Hatch Successfully: Expert Guide
- What Is Euro Nymphing: Full Explanation
- How To Nymph Fish Successfully: Complete Guide
- Euro Nymphing Leader Formula: How to Build you Own DIY