Largemouth bass are the prime target for the majority of inland anglers in the United States.
Bass are large, predatory fish that take lures and flies well and can be pursued pretty much year round.
They are found in a wide variety of water.
And while there is a lot of skill in bass fishing (just ask the bass tournament pros!), bass are also a good species to target when you are learning. There are big enough populations of them to ensure that there is decent action most times you go bass fishing.
Facts about Largemouth Bass
Bass are opportunistic feeders that will eat anything from crawfish and shad beneath the surface to frogs, insects and even small mammals from the water’s surface.
Bass can cope with a wide range of water temperatures and flows and levels of turbidity. They are tough fish with remarkable attributes, some of which we’ve summarised here:
- Bass fishing tips for beginners
- Do bass have teeth? Bass handling tips.
- Can you eat bass? And good ways to prepare them.
- Bass jumping out of water: What does it mean? And how to catch them
- How long do bass live? And can they survive out of the water
- Bass fishing after a storm: How to stimulate a bite
- Ultralight Bass Fishing
- What is considered a trophy bass?
- What Do Bass Eat? Key Prey Items Identified
- Why is Bass Fishing So Popular?
- What are the Biggest Bass Fishing Tournaments? Top 10 events revealed
- What are some good Bass Fishing YouTube Channels
Bass fishing gear and advice
- Best bass attractant: top scents to improve your hook up rate
- Best spinning rod for bass: Our top picks reviewed
- Best Baitcasting Rod for Bass Fishing: Top Picks Reviewed
- Best line for Bass Fishing
- Best Bass Lures of all types
- Best Crankbaits for Bass Fishing: Guides’ Picks Revealed
- Best Swimbaits for Bass Fishing: Our Experts’ Choices
- Best Topwater Lures for Bass: Best Picks for Surface Action
- Best Worms For Bass: These are Key to Soft Bait Success
- Best Jigs for Bass: Top Models Identified
- Best Chatterbaits for Bass Fishing: Top Models Revealed
- Best Spinnerbaits for Bass Fishing: Reviews of the Best Brands and Models
- Best Frog Lures For Surface Fishing For Bass
- Bass Rigs – All the Key Ones You Need to Know
- Best Fly Rod for Bass: Choosing the Right Stick
- What Pound Test of Line Do I Need for Bass Fishing?
- Best Line for Bass Fishing: Mono, Fluoro and Braid Picks
- Bass Fishing Gear List
- Ultralight fishing for Bass: Small Tackle Tips
Other types of Bass: Smallmouth, Peacock and More
- Our Best smallmouth Bass Lures
- World Record Smallmouth Bass: What a Whopper
- Spotted bass vs largemouth: Key Differences Explained
- Biggest peacock bass ever caught: World Record Fish
- What is a Bass Grand Slam: Breakdown of the Species
- What is a Meanmouth Bass?
- How to catch White Bass: Sure Fire Tips and Tactics
- How to Catch Striped Bass: Keys to Succeeding on Stripers
- How to Catch Smallmouth Bass: Super Tips for Smallies
- Bobber Fishing for Bass: Floating Fishing Tactics
- Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass: Tips for Success on the Long Wand
Seasons, Times and Weather for Bass Fishing
Bass can be caught year round, but generally spring, summer and fall offer the pick of the fishing in most areas
- Best bass lures for summer fishing
- Best fall bass fishing lures
- Best spring bass fishing lures – spawning season baits reviewed
- Bass Fishing At Night: Tips for After Dark Success
- Bass Fishing After A Storm
- Best time of Day to Fish For Bass
- Pre Spawn Bass Fishing: Guides’ tips for success
- When Do Bass Spawn in Ponds: Complete Guide
- When Do Smallmouth Bass Spawn?
- When Do Striped Bass Spawn?
- When Do Largemouth Bass Spawn?
- Post Spawn Bass Fishing: Tips and Expert Techniques
Bass Fishing Locations
Looking for a good place to wet a line for bass? We’ve got you covered with Jeff Knapp’s guide to the best bass fishing lakes in America. And if you are chasing the big ones, here are his tips on how to catch a 10lb bass.
And if you don’t have a bass boat, no problem. Here are Jeff’s tips for catching bass consistently from shore.