Largemouth bass are the prime target for the majority of inland anglers in the United States.
Bass are large, predatory fish that take lures and flies well and can be pursued pretty much year round.
They are found in a wide variety of water. And while there is a lot of skill in bass fishing (just ask the tournament pros!), bass are also a good species to target when you are learning. There are big enough populations of them to ensure that there is decent action most times you go bass fishing.
Facts about Largemouth Bass
Bass are opportunistic feeders that will eat anything from crawfish and shad beneath the surface to frogs, insects and even small mammals from the water’s surface.
Bass can cope with a wide range of water temperatures and flows and levels of turbidity. They are tough fish with remarkable attributes, some of which we’ve summarised here:
- Bass fishing tips for beginners
- Do bass have teeth? Bass handling tips.
- Can you eat bass? And good ways to prepare them.
- Bass jumping out of water: What does it mean? And how to catch them
- How long do bass live? And can they survive out of the water
- Bass fishing after a storm: How to stimulate a bite
- Ultralight Bass Fishing
- What is considered a trophy bass?
- What Do Bass Eat? Key Prey Items Identified
- Why is Bass Fishing So Popular?
- What are the Biggest Bass Fishing Tournaments? Top 10 events revealed
- What are some good Bass Fishing YouTube Channels
Bass fishing gear and advice
- Best bass attractant: top scents to improve your hook up rate
- Best spinning rod for bass: Our top picks reviewed
- Best Baitcasting Rod for Bass Fishing: Top Picks Reviewed
- Best line for Bass Fishing
- Best Bass Lures of all types
- Best Crankbaits for Bass Fishing: Guides’ Picks Revealed
- Best Swimbaits for Bass Fishing: Our Experts’ Choices
- Best Topwater Lures for Bass: Best Picks for Surface Action
- Best Worms For Bass: These are Key to Soft Bait Success
- Best Jigs for Bass: Top Models Identified
- Best Chatterbaits for Bass Fishing: Top Models Revealed
- Best Spinnerbaits for Bass Fishing: Reviews of the Best Brands and Models
- Best Frog Lures For Surface Fishing For Bass
- Bass Rigs – All the Key Ones You Need to Know
- Best Fly Rod for Bass: Choosing the Right Stick
- What Pound Test of Line Do I Need for Bass Fishing?
- Best Line for Bass Fishing: Mono, Fluoro and Braid Picks
- Bass Fishing Gear List
Other types of Bass: Smallmouth, Peacock and More
- Our Best smallmouth Bass Lures
- World Record Smallmouth Bass: What a Whopper
- Spotted bass vs largemouth: Key Differences Explained
- Biggest peacock bass ever caught: World Record Fish
Seasons, Times and Weather for Bass Fishing
Bass can be caught year round, but generally spring, summer and fall offer the pick of the fishing in most areas