Baitcasting reels offer some great advantages over spinning reel set ups, including:
- Accurate casting through the ability to thumb the spool
- Single handed casting
- Strong drag settings
- A variety of gear ratios
Types of baitcasting reel
There are several different types of baitcasting reels, which we have run through below.
The low-profile bass baitcasting reels.
These are the compact little reels that are popular with bass fishing. They make for a really well balanced outfit you cast accurately with one hand. The only drawback to these reels are they have a smaller line capacity than the traditional baitcasting reel.
Traditional baitcasting reels.
These are the round medium sized baitcaster reels popular a decade or so ago. These still exist but tend to be used in saltwater scenarios where you might do some casting, but also trolling. They are good for tangling with larger species due to the strong drag settings they can post and the higher line capacity than the low profile baitcasting reels.
Line counter reels
These are a baitcasting reel in the sense they sit on the top of the rod. These are used for trolling where the capacity to measure the amount of line out – hence the name line counter reel – is really useful for working out the depth your lure is running at.
Baitcasting Reels Info
- How to spool a baitcasting reel
- Baitcasting vs spinning reel: pros and cons
- How to fix a fishing reel
- How to Spool a Baitcaster: Step by Step instructions
Baitcasting Reel reviews and comparisons
- Best ultralight baitcasting reels reviewed
- Best baitcasting reels for bass fishing
- Best saltwater fishing reels reviewed
- Best High Speed Baitcasting Reels: Our Top Picks Reviewed
Baitcasting Reels by Fish Species or Lure Type
Often you want to choose a baitcasting reel size and type based on the kind of fish you are chasing. Our fishing experts have put together a lot of articles on the best baitcasting reels for particular applications and types of fish.
Best Reels By Brand
The Tackle Village teams stays right across what’s happening in the tackle and how leading tackle makers are changing their ranges. We bring you some of their thoughts on reel brands here below.
- Daiwa vs Shimano Spinning Reels: Top Japanese Brands Reviewed
- Piscifun vs KastKing Reels: Which Budget Brand is Better?
- Where are KastKing Reels Made?
- Where are Piscifun Reels Manufactured?
- Fishing Reel Brands: Our Verdict on ALL the Top Reel Manufacturers
- Where are Daiwa Reels Made?
- Where are Pflueger Reels Made?
- Where Are Abu Garcia Reels Made?
- Where are Shimano Reels Made?
- Which Fishing Reel Brands are Made in the USA?