Having a baitcasting reel that offers a greater gear ratio and speed opens up a variety of different advantages for bass fishing anglers. Unlike other reels, baitcasting reels with higher gear ratios make it possible to retrieve a much greater amount of line than you’re able to with a normal baitcasting reel.
For anglers who might be skeptical about the perceived advantages you get with a speed spool baitcasting reel vs a spinning reel or even an average speed baitcaster reel, there are a few important things you should consider.
We’ve compiled this article to serve as a guide to the advantages you’ll get from using a high-speed baitcasting reel.
What is a high speed baitcasting reel?
Most anglers consider a high speed baitcasting reel to be one that offers a gear ratio of at least 5.3:1 or more. This might vary depending on who you ask, but many professional bass fishing anglers are well-aware of the advantages you get with using faster baitcasting reels. Using a high-speed baitcasting reel opens up a huge amount of possibilities in terms of what lures you can use, as well as different tactics and techniques you can employ.
Some baitcasting reels might be equipped with a gear ratio that’s as high as 9.1:1 or more while others are said to be more effective in the 7.1:1 range. Baitcaster reels are much more effective than spinning reels in terms of high gear ratio as a baitcasting reel offers much less friction in the spool, as well as a number of other quality features that make it possible to achieve such a high gear ratio.
In order to achieve this higher gear ratio, a baitcasting reel must-have stainless steel ball bearings that help to limit the amount of friction that’s caused by the reel’s inner parts working together to collect the fishing line.
A good baitcasting reel that has a faster gear ratio will also have certain items such as a magnetic brake system and other components to help anglers better control their reel and the line on the spool.
Most baitcaster reel brands measure their gear ratio using a ratio system while some other baitcaster or even spinning reel brands might use a system that operates around inch-per-turn style of measurement. Many anglers differ as to which system is better for measuring gear ratio and line intake, but virtually every fisherman agrees that a faster fishing reel greatly enhances your fishing ability.
When to use a high speed casting reel?
As we’ve noted already, using a high-speed baitcast reel allows you to employ a whole new world of different techniques and tactics that involve topwater lures, crankbaits, jerkbaits and many other varieties.
Knowing when to use high-speed baitcasting reels or even spinning reels that offer a faster gear ratio is key to unlocking a number of new possibilities when it comes to bass fishing.
Faster baitcasting reels make it possible for you to greatly vary the speed at which you retrieve certain lures like topwater poppers, junebugs, whopper ploppers and more. You might also select a lightweight reel that has a faster gear ratio to better control certain types of finesse lures, but many anglers will opt for a faster baitcast reel regardless of what type of lure they’re using.
Five advantages of using a high speed baitcasting reel
A faster baitcasting reel allows you to enhance your fishing techniques in a variety of ways. Using expensive baitcasting reels is something that expert anglers have recognized as a great way to gain a number of advantages in the world of bass fishing.
- One of the most prominent advantages you gain from using a fast baitcasting reel is the ability to increase your casting distance thanks to the smooth casting mechanics of the casting reels. Using a cheap baitcasting reel will typically not produce the same smooth casting ability or greater casting distance you expect.
Typically, good baitcasting reels are equipped with features like a smooth drag, tension knob, braking system, durable reel frame and many others that make it one of the top baitcasting reels.
- With faster baitcasting reels, you also gain the ability to use certain methods like flipping and pitching with jigs and other types of lure presentations. This is something you can’t do with spinning reels or even slower a baitcast reel as the faster retrieval capability is a must when it comes to using these methods.
- You also gain a greater ability to work certain lure presentations and styles in a wider variety of speeds by using a high speed baitcast reel. Many anglers prefer to use finesse lures for fishing soft plastics and other styles of baits with a faster baitcaster reel instead of a slower model.
- Using a fast baitcast reel also lets you cover much more water when fishing. This plays a significant role for professional bass anglers who need to make the most out of their time on the water. Having a model that’s considered to be among the best baitcasting reel options on the market is a must for competitive anglers.
- Lastly, having a fast baitcasting reel also lets you use certain lures at a blazing-fast pace through the water. This is better for days when fish will be highly aggressive and using a speedy bait casting fishing reel lets you determine just how you want to retrieve your lure in any scenario.
Best baitcasting reels (high speed) reviewed
If you’re interested in learning what the best baitcasting reels with higher speeds are in today’s market, we’ve laid out 6 of our favorite picks that we consider to be among the best baitcasting reel models you’ll find.
Each one of these baitcasting reels has been individually assessed and rated based on a variety of factors and performance capabilities.
Professional anglers are well-aware of the blazing-fast speeds that the Abu Garcia Revo Rocket is capable of reaching in terms of gear ratio. There’s no doubt that this is arguably one of the fastest fishing reel options on the market and it’s packed with quality features.
The Abu Garcia Revo Rocket and Abu Garcia Revo SX are equipped with stainless steel ball bearings, magnetic braking system, and a variety of gear ratios that are faster than your average baitcaster reel. It’s easy to see why we’ve placed this atop our list as one of the best baitcasting reels in the industry.
- Magnetic braking system for better control over this baitcasting reel
- Variety of faster gear ratios, stainless steel ball bearings
- Faster than most baitcasting reels in the industry
It’s hard for some anglers to choose between the Abu Garcia Revo SX, the Abu Garcia Revo and the Lew’s Hypermag as they are all easily among the top rated baitcasting reels on the market today. This Lews baitcaster, with its Speed Spool, is comparable to the Abu Garcia reel models we’ve already mentioned and is perfect for freshwater fishing.
This baitcasting reel is built with stainless steel ball bearings, a speed spool design, and light reel weight. It’s clear that this low profile baitcasting reel is one of the best baitcasting reel models made by Lews. This and the Abu Garcia models we’ve noted are both expensive baitcasting reels, but they are certainly worth the investment.
- Low profile baitcasting reel, quality ball bearings
- Speed Spool allows for blazing-fast gear ratio
- Variety of gear ratios, comparable to Abu Garcia Revo
Our pick for the best value new baitcasting reel on the market today is the Piscifun Alloy M. This baitcasting reel offers many of the necessary features such as quality-made ball bearings, a magnetic braking system, and a durable aluminum frame that helps protect the inner workings of the brake system and other parts. This one is significantly cheaper than the Abu Garcia baitcaster we mentioned earlier, but isn’t far behind in performance.
Regardless of the price, this is an easy addition to our list of quality reels that offer more speed and is actually a great reel for beginners. It’s made for freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing and is comparable to the Piscifun Phantom in many ways and is one of the better bait casters made by the brand.
- Quality brake system and corrosion resistant for saltwater fishing
- Variety of gear ratios, quality ball bearings and great reel for the money
- Great baitcasting reel for beginners
Shimano Curado K baitcast reel is easily one of the top models that’s comparable to the quality of the Abu Garcia and other best baitcasting reels in today’s industry. It far outpaces any spinning reels and most baitcasting reels with lower gear ratios thanks to its outstanding quality design.
This Shimano baitcasting reel blows certain other models out of the water in terms of sheer speed and precision, such as the KastKing Speed Demon Baitcasting Reel or the KastKing Royale Legend. The Shimano Curado has a drag system that’s comparable to the Abu Garcia reel we listed earlier with its carbon matrix drag system.
- Shimano Curado is of the most outstanding reel setups in the industry
- Variety of gear ratios and magnetic brake system
- Blistering speed gear ratio and overall smoothness
The Daiwa Tatula 100HSL is another clear addition to our list of the best baitcasting reels available today. This fishing reel is arguably one of the best baitcasting reel models that’s moderately-priced. This model is one that offers a variety of gear ratios based on the particular model, as well as other features such as a quality braking system and features a brass gear that’s comparable to the Abu Garcia’s Duragear brass gear.
- The Daiwa Tatula 100 is one of the best fishing reels for the money
- Aluminum frame and quality brake system
- Incredibly smooth drag that’s made for catching bigger fish
13 Fishing has made quite a splash in the industry recently by producing some of the best reels on the market such as the Concept A3 Gen II. This is easily one of the best fishing reels that offers higher gear ratios and also packs in a number of solid features as well.
This reel is made to catch big fish and serves as a capable inshore saltwater fishing setup, as well as one that can go after big fish in freshwater, too. With differing gear ratio options, anglers can choose the one that’s best for their own personal needs. The Concept A3 Gen II is easily one of the best baitcasting reels available.
- Lighter reel weight than most other fishing reel models
- Functions much like a round reel and also offers a solid braking system
- High line capacity and overall one of the best fishing reel models in the industry
Final thoughts on high speed baitcasting reels
When looking for a solid baitcasting model that offers such features like speed spool and other items that help to greatly increase the gear ratio speed, it’s important to look at all the other factors that are part of the reel. Like most other items in the fishing industry, you can expect to pay a bit more to purchase a premium-quality baitcasting model that will function as an excellent reel setup.
By using the information we’ve listed as a guide, you should have a more firm understanding of gear ratios and will be able to make a good decision regarding your next high-speed baitcaster.