Getting a Walmart fishing license is a quick and easy way to make sure you are fishing legally.
The fishing licenses sold at Walmart are the exact same documents issued by natural resources departments and are completely legitimate.
The costs are practically the same whether you are getting a fishing license at Walmart or through the government offices in your state.
And with more than 5000 stores across the US, chances are there is a Walmart near you that you can visit to get a license.
How to Get a Fishing License at Walmart
It’s not widely known to most anglers, but you can get a fishing license at Walmart stores across the US.
For many people this Walmart fishing license is a better option than heading in to their state’s licensing department or navigating a clunky government website.
In this guide to getting a fishing license at Walmart, we’ve broken down the easiest way to get yourself licensed to avoid fines and ensure you are contributing to the health of our beloved recreational fisheries.
Get a Fishing License at Walmart in Person
Follow these easy steps to get your Walmart store:
- Bring photo ID and proof of residency (a utility bill for example)
- Head to the Sports and Outdoor section of the store
- They’ll give you a form that you can fill out on the spot and hand to the staff
- They will double check your age and the type and duration of license you require (resident or non resident; saltwater fishing or freshwater fishing) and let you know the price.
- There is no test or anything like that, but the Walmart fishing license staff will give you a booklet with the regulations that apply in the state you are getting the license for
- Once you’ve paid the applicable fee (see here for fishing license prices in all states), they’ll give you your fishing license and you are done!
- Purchasing a fishing license at Walmart is that easy!
Get a Fishing License at Walmart online
While there are some articles that claim you can get a fishing license online through Walmart, we’ve seen no evidence that that is the case.
You can get fishing licenses online of course, but they are usually sold via the natural resources department’s website in your state. There are links on these sites to buy the license online. After buying the license online, in some cases you can print the license out and you are good to go until they send you the actual license to fish.
Why get a Walmart fishing license?
Many people find getting a Walmart fishing license to be convenient as it is a store that they visit frequently. Also, when you get your Walmart fishing license you can also pick up fishing supplies including lures and other tackle that you need. And with it’s convenient opening hours, it is easy to visit a Walmart store and get a Walmart fishing license.
Chances are if you are a non resident angler you won’t know where the departmental office is anyway, so Walmart is an easier option. Non residents need a license to fish in pretty much all states.
Walmart Fishing License FAQs
Who needs a fishing license?
Anyone who wants to fish in the US needs a fishing license, with a limited number of exemptions.
In some states people under 16 or 17 or over 65 don’t need a fishing license and some states have exemptions or discounts for veterans, as well as seniors and people suffering from disabilities.
You need to get a license if you are a resident of the state or a non resident angler.
What type of fishing licenses are available
You can purchase a fishing license in these types:
- 24 hours fishing licenses.
- 3 or 5-day fishing licenses.
- Annual fishing licenses
How much does a Walmart fishing license cost?
Here are some indicative costs for a Walmart fishing license. Obviously the fishing license cost varies a bit from state to state and which bodies of water you plan to fish in, but this gives you a rough idea of expected fishing license cost when you purchase a fishing license.
- Licenses for individual residents – $19.
- Licenses for individual residents of age 66 and above – $10
- A one-day fishing license for both residents and non-residents – $11
- Non-resident annual license – $40
- Three-day tourist fishing licenses – $19
What states offer fishing licenses via Walmart?
Forty seven states in the US sell Walmart fishing licenses. Walmart has an agreement with these state governments to issue a valid non resident or resident fishing license that has the validity as the government issued license.
- Alabama fishing license details
- Alaska fishing license details
- Arizona fishing license details
- Arkansas fishing license
- California fishing license
- Colorado fishing license
- Connecticut fishing license
- Delaware fishing license
- Florida fishing license
- Georgia fishing licenses
- Hawaii fishing licenses
- Illinois fishing licenses
- Indiana fishing licenses
- Iowa fishing license
- Kansas fishing license
- Kentucky fishing license
- Louisiana fishing license
- Maine fishing license
- Maryland fishing license
- Massachusetts fishing license
- Michigan fishing license
- Minnesota fishing license
- Mississippi fishing license
- Missouri fishing license
- Montana fishing license
- Nebraska fishing license
- Nevada fishing license
- New Hampshire fishing license
- New Jersey fishing license
- New Mexico fishing license
- New York fishing license
- North Carolina fishing license
- North Dakota fishing license
- Ohio fishing license
- Oklahoma fishing license
- Oregon fishing license
- Pennsylvania fishing license
- Rhode Island fishing license
- South Carolina fishing license
- South Dakota fishing license
- Tennessee fishing license
- Texas fishing license
- Utah fishing license
- Vermont fishing license
- Virginia fishing license
- Washington fishing license
- West Virginia fishing license
- Wisconsin fishing license
- Wyoming fishing license
Why get a Fishing License?
Fishing licenses are not just a revenue raising exercise for state governments. In most cases the money raised via licensing fees goes to fish stocking and the enforcement of fishing rules so it helps to create a better fishery for all recreational fishers.
So think of the fishing license cost as an investment in the quality of the fishery. The money raised via the fishing license cost also helps with river and stream rehabilitation and programs to help get young people fishing.
Where to Buy a Fishing License Near Me
Walmart has almost 5000 stores in the US, so buying a Walmart fishing license is relatively simple and faster and easier than visiting your fish and wildlife department. Other outdoor and hardware retailers also sell licenses, and of course you can buy a fishing license through the relevant government department/offices in your state.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?