What Does VLT Stand For in Sunglasses?

Tackle Village is reader supported. If you buy a product through links on the site we may make a small commission

Updated on:
Depositphotos 11243965 xl 2015 scaled

VLT stands for Visible Light Transmission. Put simply, it is the percentage of light that the lenses allow through to your eyes.

A sunglasses lens with a VLT of 20% allows 20% of light to pass through filtering out the other 80%.

You should always consider the VLT when you are choosing the best sunglasses for your activity.

  • The best sunglasses for bright conditions will typically have a VLT of 10-15% and blue, green, or gray lens colors.
  • Sunglasses that can be worn in both full sunlight and shady conditions like on a deck or verandah have a VLT of between 15-25% and have a variety of different lens colors.
  • And sunglasses that are for specialist activities, like fly fishing in low light conditions should have a VLT of between 25 and 40% and usually have either yellow or copper color¬†lenses.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Shop where we do: Bass Pro

Grab a Bass Pro special
Photo of author
AUTHOR
Rick Wallace is a passionate angler and fly fisher whose work has appeared in fishing publications including FlyLife. He's appeared in fishing movies, founded a successful fishing site and spends every spare moment on the water.