The Yeti Hopper Range grows from time to time with these awesome coolers now coming in styles and sizes such as the Hopper Flip 18 and the Hopper Flip 12.
If you are looking for a highly portable soft cooler that works extremely well but isn’t as large as the Hopper Flip 12 or the Hopper Flip 18 – the Yeti Hopper Flip 8 might be exactly what you have been looking for.
In this article, we take a detailed look at the Hopper Flip 8 and share some of the pros, cons, and features as well as answer some frequently asked questions related to the smallest of Yetis soft coolers.
Yeti Hopper Flip 8 Review
Yeti coolers are known for being some of the best (if not the best) available to buy. Not only can they withstand the rigors of outdoor life, but they can also quite easily keep your drinks cold for a very long time.
The Yeti Hopper Flip 8 is no exception to this rule. All of this awesomeness does come at a price though!
It may not be the most budget-friendly cooler out there, but the Yeti Hopper Flip 8 is certainly one of the best of its kind.
If you also add the impressive warranty period of three years then you can’t really go wrong with this soft cooler. The warranty means that if anything does go wrong with your Hopper Flip 8, Yeti will get it sorted for you with little hassle.
- Made from a high-density waterproof fabric that is resistant to mildew
- The fabric is tough and puncture-proof as well as providing protection from UV rays
- Yeti has made the interior of this soft cooler from a food-grade material that has been approved by the FDA
- Closed-cell rubber foam insulation keeps things cold for much longer than ordinary soft coolers
- An extremely tough waterproof and leakproof hydrolok zipper keeps everything inside the Hopper Flip 8 dry and prevents any spillages from spoiling the rest of your gear
- Hitch point grid for attaching accessories to the outside of your cooler
- The wide-mouth opening means you can easily see what you have in your cooler as well as comfortably place items inside and remove them
- Lightweight and comfortable to carry with you out in the wild
- The hopper’s high-density fabric is tough and durable so can take a bit of a beating on your adventures
- Superior cold-holding and ice retention so your beers stay cold for much longer
- Option to attach accessories like a molle bottle opener and other items to the outside of the cooler for practicality and convenience
- Adjustable shoulder strap so you can make your Yeti Hopper Flip 8 as comfortable as possible as you enjoy your time in the great outdoors
- As with all Yeti products, the Hopper Flip 8 comes with an impressive three-year warranty
- The Yeti Hopper Flip 8 is not a particularly budget-friendly soft cooler and there are less expensive soft coolers out there
- Not a big Yeti soft cooler so not really suitable for multi-day trips
As already mentioned in this article, the Yeti Hopper Flip 8 has incredible insulation power and will hold ice and keep your drinks cold for a long time.
The dryhide shell that forms the cubed body of this soft cooler is not only tough and puncture-proof but also offers good levels of UV protection which helps keep anything inside the cooler colder for longer.
With all this in mind, it is clear to see how the Hopper Flip 8 is one very effective soft cooler, even in hot temperatures.
Value for money
It is no secret that the Yeti Hopper Flip 8 comes with a pretty hefty price tag. However, it is also no secret that it does a very good job at earning this high price.
Yeti coolers, including a soft cooler like the Yeti Hopper, have been designed to be able to handle outdoor life so they can certainly take a bit of a beating. This means that they last much longer than other coolers of similar shape and size but cost a little less.
The Hopper Flip 8 is also very good at what it does – it really does fulfill the old saying of “you get what you pay for!”
A three-year warranty comes as standard with the Yeti Hopper Flip 8 so this gives you peace of mind that, in the unlikely event something does go wrong, Yeti will quickly sort out any issues with spare parts or a complete replacement if necessary.
What is the YETI Hopper Flip 8 Best For?
The Yeti Hopper Flip 8 is a very versatile soft cooler.
It is best suited to you if you like heading out into the wild alone and prefer traveling light.
As it is a small cooler, it won’t take up much space so it makes for a great everyday cooler that could be used as a lunch bag or as a way to carry snacks with you when out for a morning outing or day trip with your family.
If you enjoy kayak fishing with a few drinks, then the Hopper Flip 8 could be a great option for you as there will still be more than enough room for your fishing essentials in your kayak alongside this soft cooler.
One of the best things about the Hopper Flip 8 is that its compact shell makes it the perfect size to take with you on road trips, hikes, and on the golf course, as well as out into the wild with you without having to struggle with a larger cooler in order to keep your drinks and food cold.
With the option to attach accessories and other useful gear to the outside such as the molle bottle opener, the Hopper Flip 8 is a very good outdoor companion.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can the Yeti Hopper Flip 8 carry?
The Yeti Hopper Flip 8 is a small soft cooler. As its name suggests, it can hold up to eight standard-sized cans of beer with ice to help keep things cool.
If you are heading out for longer than a day, then you will likely need a larger cooler. It’s also worth bearing in mind that if you prefer bottles of beer to cans, you will only be able to get four bottles in the cooler at the most.
How can I maximize ice retention?
Filling any empty space in your cooler with ice is a great way of making sure your drinks stay cold as long as possible.
If you want to keep things cooler for even longer, then Yeti ice packs are very cool! The reason Yeti ice is so cool (in more ways than one) is that it has been designed to have a lower freezing point than water. A benefit of this is that if your water ice starts to melt in your cooler, the Yeti ice can help to re-freeze it and keep things cooler for longer.
Yeti ice comes in a range of sizes but the 2lb Yeti ice pack is a good fit for the Hopper Flip 8.
Is the YETI Hopper Flip 8 easy to carry?
Yes! It is small, lightweight, and has multiple carrying handles and a shoulder strap.
What accessories are there available for the Hopper Flip 8?
Yeti’s sidekick dry is extremely useful as it gives you additional carrying space outside of the Hopper Flip 8.
This lets you keep things like your wallet and keys safe outside of the cold section of your cooler.
What is the Warranty for the Hopper Flip 8?
Three years from the date of purchase.
How Do I Clean My Hopper Flip 8?
Soap and water are all that is needed to clean your Hopper Flip 8. Just make sure it is fully dry before storing away ready for your next adventure.
Yeti Hopper Flip 8 vs Hopper Flip 12
Apart from the larger size of the Hopper Flip 12, these two coolers are very similar.
The main difference in design is that the Hopper Flip 8 has a carrying handle on top whereas the 12 doesn’t.
This may not sound like much but it makes carrying the 8 a whole lot easier!
Final thoughts on the Yeti Hopper Flip 8
The Yeti Hopper Flip 8 is an extremely good soft cooler and we really do love it.
Despite its rather high price, it is well worth the investment as it will fit perfectly into your short outdoor adventures whether you are heading out for a hike, a picnic, a kayak, or a fishing trip.
It is easy and comfortable to carry and will keep your drinks cold for as long as you need it to.