Fishing with ultralight gear is not only a fun way to fish for bass, trout, walleye, and other species but can also be highly effective with stubborn or suspicious fish. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the best ultralight bass fishing gear for a wide range of fishing styles.
The Best Ultralight Fishing Lures by Type
Inline Spinners (Rooster Tails)
Rooster tails are a personal favorite of mine for ultralight fishing and are my go-to when trout or bass fishing. These ultralight fishing lures are also excellent when it comes to crappie and bluegill fishing, but don’t overlook them for walleye as well.
In low-light conditions, rooster tails in dark colors are an absolutely amazing ultralight tackle to use around the heavy brush, sunken logs, and dock pylons. Whether you have never used an inline spinner before, or are looking for a new one to add to your tackle box, let’s take a closer look at two of my favorites.
The Panther Martin is my go-to ultralight fishing inline spinner when fishing in deep water with a light line. They are on the heavier end of ultralights which makes them great for quick sinking. You can find them in a wide range of weights including 1/32 ounce, all the way up to ⅛ ounce.
- Great choice for bringing back spooked fish
- Available in dozens of colors from black to ghost
- One of the best ultralights for deepwater fishing
While it has a funny name, the Mepps Aglia is an outstanding inline spinner for a beginner to get started with. They come in nearly two dozen different colors to suit all types of water and light conditions. For extremely small spinners, look for the 00 sizes, though 0 and 1 are also available.
- Extremely beginner friendly and very versatile
- Huge range of colors for all water and light conditions
- Three precise and reliable sizes including 00, 0, and 1
Regardless of your preferred fishing technique, mini crankbaits are a very versatile and successful ultralight gear to use. They’re one of my favorites for bass, crappie, perch, and bluegill fishing.
You’ll find a wide range of shapes and colors for mini crankbaits, giving you plenty of choices when it comes to finding the perfect new lure to add to your tackle box. They are effective enough to be used by professionals, but forgiving enough to be a good starting ultralight fishing lure for beginners too.
This lure weighs just 3/16 ounces and measures under 3 inches long. It has a narrow profile that makes it absolutely amazing for bass, perch, and bluegill fishing. The realistic and eye-catching colorations on these lures can draw in the most suspicious fish easily.
- Large range of popular and uncommon colors
- Measuring less than 3 inches long with a narrow profile
- Can be found in suspending and floating models
If you’re searching for a fast-sinking ultralight fishing crankbait, the CountDown is your answer. This little lure will fall at around 12-14 inches per second, getting your bait down where you want it without wasting time. You’ll find a range of sizes and dozens of colors to get more bites.
- Available in sizes from 1 inch to 3 inches
- Perfect option when targeting suspended fish
- Rapid sinking action gets it to the right depth fast
If you love fishing for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, white bass, channel catfish, perch, or drum with a smaller presentation, these tiny jigs are the right choice. These very small lures come in a huge range of different shapes and styles, letting you pick exactly what you need for your next fishing trip.
Jigs are one of my personal favorites for smallmouth bass, especially when fishing in low-light conditions or murky water. They are durable and long-lasting, meaning you won’t have to waste money replacing them after every fishing trip.
Made with a soft marabou hair tail, these jigs are the perfect answer when you want to land crappie quickly and easily. The lure can be swam or bounced to give you a range of technique options for your retrieval. While they absolutely slay with crappie, they can also work on other panfish, bass, and trout.
- One of the best marabou hair lures available to catch big bass
- The number one choice by most people for crappie fishing
- Available in more than a dozen colors and various sizes
While not as popular as some other ultralight bass fishing options in the tiny jig category, the Trout Magnet lives up to its name. If you are trying to target suspicious or spooked trout, this lure can bring them in. The soft plastic body provides an eye-catching darting motion that most trout and other fish simply can’t ignore.
- Highly effective for trout fishing, bass fishing, and other suspicious fish
- Creates a unique darting motion when retrieved
- Very simple and perfect for beginners and advanced anglers alike
As one of the most versatile all-around ultralight gear on the market, you can never go wrong with tube jigs in your tackle box. These lures are available in a variety of colors, shapes, styles, and sizes to help you catch more fish at a decent casting distance.
They are effective on most species of fish including small baitfish and can be used in both freshwater and saltwater with steady pressure or a heavier line. You’ll also find them one of the best options for beginners and children, while also being versatile enough for advanced anglers too.
While this tube is great for a wide range of different fish species, it really shines when you’re targeting very stubborn bass. The Bitsy Tube is salt impregnated to ensure a fish won’t instantly spit it out, and with a half-dozen colors available, you’re sure to find one that will work for your water and light conditions.
- Can be the absolute best option for beginner bass anglers
- Normally found in the 2 ¾ inch length
- Six colors available, infused with glitter to catch the eye of nearby fish
STH Finesse Tube
This little ultralight bass fishing tube can be a great option for fish that don’t eagerly grab on thanks to its 40/60 body-to-tail ratio. You’ll not have any issues with a hook set, and will instead be hauling in a variety of fish with ease. These lures can be used with a wide range of fish species including bass, perch, and more.
- Available in almost a dozen colors
- Can be found up to 4 inches in length
- Features a 40/60 body to tail ratio for solid hookups
Soft Plastic Baits
As the best all-around ultralight bass fishing option, soft plastics can be used for pretty much any fish you are targeting, as well as freshwater, saltwater, and ice fishing. These lures are attached to a weighted jighead which adds the bounce and motion you need.
With soft plastics, you are not limited by much. These lures can be found in a variety of shapes from simple worms to more elaborate creature baits. Whether you are a beginner or an old pro, soft plastics on a jig should be in your fishing arsenal.
When fishing in an area where fish are active, these lures are my go-to for a lifelike movement and more bites. Aggressive fish will not hesitate to strike this lure, and when it’s windy they are highly effective at drifting into heavy cover areas where you need them.
- Excellent option for long cast with the right jig head
- Can be drifted into hard-to-reach and heavy-cover areas
- Extremely lifelike motion in the water to entice fish
This ultralight bass fishing soft plastic is great for fish that are a bit more sluggish and stubborn. It measures around 1.5” and pairs well with a 1/16-ounce weighted jig head. The small design lets you cast at very good distances, and into extremely tight spots where larger lures would get snagged.
- Very tiny and perfect for smaller panfish and smallmouth bass
- Pairs well with ⅛ and 1/16 ounce jig heads
- One of the best small plastics for extremely long casting